Saturday, November 09, 2013

long run, so-so performance

Weekend Update

It's Saturday.  I ran 24 miles on the treadmill today and now - at nearly 8 pm - still not to sleepy.   I only ran it at 8:10/mile, and from the beginning it was a bit of a grind.  My HR was low, but I felt tired and old and creaky. I iced the tendon massively today - and will continue this evening after some stretching and TP therapy.  But it's very sore to the touch at about 1-2" above the heel.  That is, for an inch of length it hurts to touch. walking is not bad.

I was expecting to feel light and springy and (wishful thinking - pain free) as I finally took a day off - yesterday. First day in nearly a month I did not run as I've been trying to baby the tendon, and it was so sore when I woke up, and I had so much to do yesterday, and, I had to run the long run today - so I opted out.  I weighed in at a heavy 176 today and I chalk that up to the massive carbo loading dinner last night (a TON of pasta) and at lunch and the big breakfast and dinner Thursday evening. 

Weight - 7 days ago (last Saturday) I was at 171 and felt very light.  But all week it's slowly gone up: 171.4, 172.8, 172.7, 173.8, 175.2, 177.4 and today 176.6.  Now, it's been a while since I only ran 12 miles in three days (7 on Wed, 5 on Thur, 0 on Friday) that and my new healthy appetite may be the cause.  I'll see what I can do for the next 10 days.

Injury - I'm puzzled as it's noticeably worse, despite a bit of a respite, consistent e-heel drops and stretching (and a massage from Carles on Friday). I knew the 24 miles today would make it worse, so this is not unexpected.  I have  two suspicions.  First, the repetition of the treadmill and no bike may be causing trouble.  Running at exactly the same speed for over 3 hours continuously on the same incline may have hurt it, and doing that for 20 days in a row (well, with speed variations) may be harsh. The second thing is the eccentric heel drops.  I'm doing them 3 x 15 reps with 40 lbs and that may be causing trouble too.